Thursday, April 28, 2011

Worm Farmer

Or... put them to work for you!  Taking your compost and material to break them down into usable nutrients.  A great way to get rid of your scraps and old newspapers and create your own fertile soil.   And they are fun to watch!!

I'll never forget the old fish tank turned into a worm bin with shredded paper and watching them turn potato skins and bread crust into soil.

Some ways to make vermicompost: 

1. A container is a good idea.  Lots of DIY types of bins on line.  I'm using an old tote for this time and putting some rocks on the bottom for some drainage and air circulation and putting some holes in the lid.

2. Shredded paper makes good bedding and making sure that it is good and damp is a good idea.  Add some food by putting it in the bedding.

3.  Put the worms in.  I used to put my kids to work looking for red worms but this time I am buying them at the bait shop and dump them in!

4.  Add your food scraps, coffee and tea filter, torn up strips of newspaper and let them enjoy their home.

5. Some people sort out the worms from the compost to use the compost but I just dump the whole tub/bin into the raised bed and flower bed.

I'm making one for home and one for my office!!!   I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment