Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Introduction to Plant Patholgy and Tree, Fruit, Veggies, Flowers and Turf Diseases


I would highly recommend the Extension Educator Master Gardeners' class.  When I read the title of the presentation...I thought for sure I was in over my head.

However, as the diseases were explained and pictures showed, I realized how much I knew.  Just didn't know what it was or what to do about it!

Really it is just about the basics.  And...some common sense and practice.  Trial and error.  Things we learn as we go...  Things you already know.  

Set up our environments so that our plants succeed in order to minimize disease.

My simple synopsis:
Don't fight the plants' natural needs and tendencies.  Right plant.  Right Place.
Plant what will grow and is available.
Don't overwater.
Give lots of space.
Stay off the soil so it does not compact.
Pick often.
Prune. Deadhead. Clean up.
Amend the soil.
Mulch Wisely.
Minimize stress.
Observe and keep your eyes open so diseases can be identified and dealt with early!



No comments:

Post a Comment