Tuesday, June 19, 2012

ReThinking Water-Lessons from Midnight Water Changing


Irrigation was part of my growing up.  Drawing water from the Belle Fourche river across the gravel road and into ditches.  First the ditches were dirt with siphon tubes and moving to cement ditches with gates.  Flood irrigation involved moving water from one part of the river through small ditches in the corn field or down the alfalfa fields and back into the river.

Big rubber waders and shovels in had we would "help" repair dikes to keep the water going to where it was supposed to do.

As we grew, we had to go and change the water in the night which scared me to death.  The coyotes would howl and the hair on my neck would be on end as it seemed like they had to be right over the next hill.

Moving water fascinates me.  The magic and the satisfaction of watching the water soak deeply into the soil providing the moisture for the corn and the alfalfa and watermelons to turn into food.  

My neighbors today will tell you that I'm always out playing in the water.  "Ditching" my garden and laying soaker hose.  Making sure that the water has soaked deeply into the ground.

The cost of water is increasing at an alarming rate.  Currently, this summer began 5 weeks early and has been the warmest on record leaving me watering continuously.  Continuing to do what I've done would be stupid so am seeking my husband's ability to design and invent to begin thinking about water storage and conservation.  

My Baby Steps:
1.  Gather supplies such as barrels and five gallon buckets.
2.  Salvage cement bricks and old hoses.
3. Seek out mulching options.
4.  Observe yard and draw new beds.
5.  Research row covers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment