Sunday, April 8, 2012

Passing Forward Passion


Following in the footsteps of previous generations includes "doing work together" and passing on a passion for gardening.  

Research in education is showing or confirming that education is way more then passing on facts.  It is about motivation, coaching, mentoring, engaging and building confidence. 

In the context of gardening it is talking, walking, pulling weeds together, planting, seeding, transplanting, watering and harvesting.  Walking through the process together.

It is not about telling.  It is about inspiring and flaming passion.  

In my home I have seeds started on my window ledge.  My boys know that they will find me in the morning and in the evening in the garden and will come out and talk for a while.  I intentionally talk about my excitement and love of learning and discovery.  I talk about why I'm growing what/where and why.

I find opportunities to pass on my love of the garden and outdoors to families I work with, to my colleagues and friends.  Teaching in my children's church, youth group by doing.  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment