Friday, October 12, 2012

Score!!!!!!! Creatively Building Soil!


Sitting in the football bleachers with friends is a grand way to score some extra bags of leaves for compost!  Granted my husband will not go with me to load them...but I'm sure he will unload them for me!

And, I'm not beneath gathering leaves and pine cones in the gutter.  With the ongoing lack of moisture and my desire to create more permaculture or "smart" scaping beds in my yard.  I will need lots more organic material for compost.

In the name of building great soil, I have some ideas for gathering extra composting material:
  • Gather leaves from yards that are familiar to us.
  • Ask friends for their neatly bagged composting material.
  • Offer your local horse fanatics to clean out their barn for the wealth of manure and straw/hay. 
  • Be intentional about saving scraps and coffee grounds.  I'm so surprised at the amount of scraps build up in one house.
  • Gather shredded paper from work to haul home.

After gathering the great composting matter, intentionally use it!

  •  I dig trenches along the back of my fence and behind a raised bed to throw material in.
  • Build a homemade compost bin such as the dog kennel turned sideways that works great.
  • Create bins to throw newspaper and food scraps to keep them from blowing away and to keep animals out.  Old cow lick tubs are great!






No comments:

Post a Comment