Friday, October 5, 2012

Winter Comfort


Standing at my back door with a cup of coffee was just a little different this morning.  The robins singing and eating worms were replaced with snow flurries!  Hoping my little feathered friends are on the fly to warmer weather.  I have to say that I will be waiting eagerly for them to return.

My large bed had thankfully been "tucked in" for the winter.  The final vines pulled and left to provide the framework for new life this spring.  This year I spent quite some time turning the soil deeply folding in the rotting fruit, vegetable matter and decomposing vines.  In addition, I soaked it well.  My hope is that the water will be stored within the composting material.  The final layer of horse manure and leaves will be going on tomorrow as I ran out of time!

The bareness of the yard is giving birth to new dreams, designs and ideas.  Instead of digging around in the dirt, I am drawing out dreams in my journal.

How do I incorporate more permaculture?
Is it possible to build the beds with just horse manure through the winter?
Where can I scavenge up some old gutters and hoses for water saving measures?
How can I plant more climbing peas, beans and vegetables within the flower beds?

This led to an initial dream list of vegetable seeds saved on my computer.

Carrots galore jumped on the list.  I will be making seed tape this winter during quiet evenings to keep my hands busy.

The tomatoes will be moved to the small bed.  Peppers will go to the tomato bed.  Hmmm....I smell spring!

Walking to the door tonight gives me a chill and a comfort.  It is a homey feeling to know that beneath the layer of soil and composting material the microbes and worms are busy and the roots are resting.  All taking a well deserved winter rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment