Monday, February 18, 2013

Time For Drought Planning



While my blog and my garden have sat quietly during the winter months; I have been busy reading, studying and planning 2013's garden.  

With a dry 2012, dry winter, expected and worsening drought predicted for this summer; it is more important then ever to be wise in my garden and yard.  

As you can see below, Nebraska is at Exceptional Drought right now.

My first focus will be on collecting material for mulch.  Having a minimum of 4 inches of mulch (after settling) on all of my garden beds, around trees and plants will take "gobs" of mulch.  

In addition, I will be more intentional in gathering compost.  Those coffee grounds, scraps of veggies, newspapers, toilet paper rolls and junk mail really add up.

I'm being extremely conservative in my ordering!  Tried and true plants are my priority with "experimental" plants are on the back burner.

With hard scaping in mind, I'm gathering PVC pipe, vines, soaker hoses, fencing material and "shade ideas" and supplies. 

Decorating for a Valentine's tea at church gave me the idea of using recycled tulle if push comes to shove. 

 
It will be the perfect year for a garden!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment