Monday, March 4, 2013

All About Peas... Pisum sativum


Last year, my family loved grabbing a sweet snap pea off the vine in the containers with the flowers on the front porch or growing with the butterfly bush in the back.  

In fact, they never did get brought in the house in any real quantity even though I planted two small crops.    This year, I want to learn more about the snap pea and to try more varieties.

This year's selection are coming from Territorial Seed.
Sugar Sprint
Sugar Ann
Super Sugar Snap
Dakota Shelling Peas

Last year I allowed the peas to grow up structures within my flowers and garden.  My goal is to find more creative ways to integrate the peas on the edges of my garden!   

In doing so, I'm thinking about where I can put them where we can grab and enjoy.  
Where will they find lots of support and yet be easy to reach.  
Will the peas begin my journey to expanding my garden?  What did I learn last year that worked and did not work?

For example, they loved growing with the different squash plants but were not so thrilled with the tomatoes.  They enjoyed having shade and lots of mulch!

For example, can I let the peas run up the grape vines on my back fence?  Where can I grow them along the back of my shed?  Would they work along my garage?

Territorial magazine includes great detail on the culture, disease and seed specs for every variety.  "A cool-season crop, peas will grow in a variety of soils provided the soil is well drained, in full sun, and contains a sufficient amount of organic matter to all for good moisture retention."





1 comment:

  1. Ordered all of the peas above plus some Kale and pepper seeds and they were not expensive at all!

    ReplyDelete