Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Permaculture Beginnings...Slow and Steady and Sudden



Everything within me wants to race to the greenhouse before the rest of the good plants are gone.    My little tiny budget crimps those urges and forces me to plod along.

In the long run, it might be for the best.  


As I put one perennial in here and another tucked in a spot along the fence; ideas are planted and begin to bloom.

What if I dug out and sheet mulched the low spot beside my patio and moved one of my big blue stem grasses to it?  In this way, a new bed or niche will begin.

Then there is the tree issue. Three giant trees have had to be taken out of my yard this year.  My ONLY trees and it has been heartbreaking. 

By happenstance, I was outside when a landscaping company delivered a Pampas grass to my nieghbor.  After a polite amount of chit chat, I asked what time of tree they would recommend.  

"Hawthorn."  The young man said to his elder,   "Don't we have that Hawthorn at the place?"  

In light of the excited prattle of a dreaming woman and the excellent service of a good landscaper; I received the call.

"We have the hawthorn in town to deliver to you!"


 "Oh really," I say.  

"Won't my husband be surprised," I think.  

Soon after, a giant digging machine snatched out a triangle shaped chunk of earth.  I stood over it wondering how appropriately it looked like a graveside!  


The tree arrived and is absolutely beautiful and they put it in the exact right place.  Water well and watch it bloom, they beamed.

 It is a mid-layer tree.  

So...now on to add the shrubs and grasses....








No comments:

Post a Comment