Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pruning, Pulling and Replanting

That wonderful time of year when the dead needs pulled or pruned!  The herbs cut and dried.  I also just planted beans and several different kinds of carrots where the old squash was.  Excited to check that out.

I wondered if any of you have tried this method of storing cabbage as I read in "The Backwoodsman" July/August 2011 edition?  My father-in-law shares his with us.  

Dennis Byrd from California wrote that his parents planted cabbage to be ready about the time o first snow.  "Once it had snowed the cabbages were dug and turned upside down, root up, into their own holds and covered with dirt and snow.  Over the course of winter you could dig these up, the outside leaves would be wrinkled and rotten, but inside was a fresh white head of cabbage."

Might be a new experiment I have to try.  I'm a beginner at planting a fall garden and am excited to see what that will be like.

I'm curious what you plant in your fall garden?  What works in the Midwest and what doesn't?  I'm looking for a mentor!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment