Thursday, March 8, 2012

Starting Seeds


I'm excited to begin a few seeds this weekend.   Learning the hard way is my only way it seems.  

Lessons I've learned:

  •  Buy good seeds and plant when fresh.
  • Use good hygiene and sterilize used pots and tools with a 10% Clorox rinse.
  • Take my time. Don't rush beginning seeds. 
  • Begin small.
  • Transplant into larger pots SOONER  rather than later.
  • Use good soil.
  • The top of the fridge is a great place for germination as it keeps them warm.  
  • Keeping them covered with something like Saran Wrap held up by pop sickle sticks works great!  
  • Take it off as soon as the seed sprouts.
  • Don't be selfish and crowd the plants.  Give baby plants lots of room for air to circulate.  I keep the ceiling fans on so the air moves.
  • Turn them daily so each side of the plant has the opportunity to suntan!  
  • Don't be chintzy.  Transplant into good sized containers.


This year I'm so excited to use my new-old shed to help my growing plants toughen up to be ready for the growing season.

No comments:

Post a Comment