Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Out With The Old and In With the New!



This week has been busy in the garden cutting off the lettuce and carrots that were finished producing.  

I have gotten into the practice of cutting off instead of pulling out by the root when at all possible.  

After cutting off the tops, I lay the organic material back down into a row and then fold the dirt over on itself.  I add the dirt that has collected in the corners and along the sides of the bed; building back up a mound.

Beans beginning along the new bed.

Finally, I've planted more potatoes, beans, and squash along the top of the mound.

Beans growing up the side of the carrots.


With record heat and water restrictions contemplated, I'm thankful more then ever that I've learned to plant my garden to take advantage of ground cover.  It just doesn't dry out very easily.


In fact, I've had to take off a tire from my vertical potato and allow the soil to dry out one plant. 

Vertical potatoes.


 

Big Blue Stem is liking the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment