Sunday, July 1, 2012

Validation Rocks!


Sepp Holzer's "Permaculture; A Practical Guide to Small-Scale, Integrative Farming and Gardening."

Listening to one of my favorite podcast, I heard of Sepp Holzer's work in Austria and promptly ordered his book and am loving it. 

I have to be honest...a few things prompted a smug smile and a verbal "HA!"  For example, a few years ago I created a very tall raised bed in my back yard corner seemingly inviting comments.  "What did you have to bury?"  "Did you bury a horse under there?"


Sepp Holzer recommends 5 foot tall beds if using for windbreak or privacy!  In fact, having a tall bed doubles the planting room available!

 The second validation involves my long rows where I pile old branches collected from a dying tree with the dirt and compost on top of the decaying branches to begin a new raised bed.  I've had folks comment that, "It's a place for bugs and snakes."  To which I responded, "exactly!"  It also creates a rich growing environment!


Finally, I am such a practical person that incorporating my compost into my garden and routine seems more functional.  I dig holes within my garden and bury compost and then cover with mulch.


This book gives me courage and the evidence to try the new beds that I've been building in my mind.


Great Book.  And I'm just beginning!





No comments:

Post a Comment