Thursday, September 20, 2012

Random: Big Blue Stem, Old Cars and Compost



Big Blue Stem Experiment...Seeding out.  It seems like years ago that I began some organic Big Blue Stem seeds in an attempt to reintroduce it in a small meadow area and in my yard.  What once filled the plains of the Midwest has become an ornamental grass.  I have learned that it takes a LONG time to get these grasses established.  I've used different spots, soils and containers with my container grass doing the best.  Now I need to decide how, when and if to transplant this grass.  How do I use it as nursery grasses to help new seeds grow.  When do I harvest the seeds and how do I store them?  Lots to think about.




The Sweet Potato vine has captured the old toy car that I claimed as my inheritance from my Mom.  I remember how proud as a little girl I was dragging it home with my Dad.  It was a great toy for girls for years and years.


Trimming and piling pumpkin and squash vines, annual plants and other organic matter to amend my large bed.  Egg cartons, toilet paper tubes, junk mail and coffee grounds are hidden in here somewhere.


Roadside trees.  Picture of endurance in a land of extremes.


No comments:

Post a Comment