Monday, September 10, 2012

Survive and/or Reproduce


Nebraska's drought has been sudden and extreme.  Thankfully, I great beds that helped our water use.

However, I have been out pruning out the plants not producing such as the zucchini and squash plants that only carried flowers.  My last pruning of my tomato plants seemed harsh as I cut off the top new growth and new blooms so that my plants could focus on finishing the fruit that is already on. 

Shrubs and trees are receiving the water so that they will weather the winter.  My last tree standing is going to have to be cut down.  Decisions on planting new shade trees are difficult as I consider our water as well as the forecast for the winter and next summer.

All of this to say that this summer has been a reminder that there are times that plants and animals have to focus on survival and stop or slow down reproduction.  

New growth is slowed as resources are very carefully guarded and preserved.  Going dormant early is one strategy.  

Maybe that is what is sometimes needed in our lives.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment