Saturday, March 19, 2011

Simply Staying Out of It's Way-- Raised Beds

I LOVE my raised beds!  It began as a Mother's Day gift from my sons and husband two years ago and it is the best gift I've ever gotten!  

I love watching the soil do what the soil does and the organisms and worms do what they do.  Seems so simple and yet so profound~ just let the soil do what it does.  Don't mess with it.  Don't get in it's way.  

Kind of freaky as I hear what I heard growing up with Dad coming out of my mouth! "If we would just leave nature alone it would be fine."

Simply staying out of it's way!  Just let it be.  So I'm letting it be.  I'll add some topsoil this year but will not turn in it.  My large raised bed was tucked in last fall with a blanket of pine needles, grass clippings, leaves and sawdust from our floors!  I've added a few scoops of soil from my a spot where all of the left over leaves have been piled over the years. 

And much to my husbands surprise I'm sure-I'm bringing our last two chickens home to put on the bed for a week to scratch it all in!  Today I am putting in the the Tpost at the corners and looking for chicken wire!

No comments:

Post a Comment